Due to the extreme temperatures affecting the regional power supply, Evergy will turn off electricity to "blocks of customers" for about 30-60 minutes.
Power should be restored to the impacted areas, but the outages could last longer than the hour timeframe. Power will cycle off and on until the supply is back under control. Check Evergy’s outage map and www.evergy.com/outageinfo for more information.
**You WILL NOT be notified when your electricity will go off, and you DO NOT need to report your outage to Evergy.**
Please layer up and be safe in these dangerous conditions.
Tips from Evergy to help lower your power usage:
- Turn thermostats a little cooler (65-68 degrees).
- Avoid the use of electric space heaters.
- Close blinds and shades to reduce the amount of heat lost through windows.
- Change or clean filters on furnaces.
- Turn off unnecessary lights and appliances in your home.
- When possible, use large appliances (clothes washers, dryers and dishwashers) between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- Reduce air leaks that let cold air in by sealing around doors and windows with weatherstripping or caulk and inserting foam gaskets on electrical switches and outlets.
- Businesses should reduce the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
- Large consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing non-essential processes.