Just in time for spring cleaning – it’s Merriam’s curbside large-item pickup and our community-wide recycling event with the City of Shawnee.
SPRING FLING RECYCLING
Merriam and Shawnee are hosting Spring Fling Recycling on Saturday, April 7 from 8-11 a.m. in the Lee Jeans parking lot at 9001 West 67th St., behind Carmax. Look for signs along West 67th St. and Lee Drive for entrance into the Lee Jeans parking lot.
A variety of items will be accepted, including consumer electronics, bicycles, eye glasses, old jeans, latex paint, and documents that will be securely and professionally disposed. You can recycle most items for free, but there will be a $25 cash-only fee for CRT, DLP, rear projection, and wood console TVs and a $15 cash-only fee for CRT monitors. There’s a suggested donation of $5 per regular file box and $10 for a large box for any paper shredding.
Used bikes will also be collected and refurbished. We’ll donate the bikes and eye glasses to community service organizations.
The Spring Large-Item Pickup is April 16-20 for Merriam residents to dispose of items such as furniture, appliances, and rugs. Please place items curbside before 7 a.m. on your scheduled pickup day. Public Works crews will start south on 75th St. and will work their way north to 47th St. throughout the week.
The City WON'T collect:
• Routine trash
• Concrete, asphalt, cinder blocks, or rocks
• Landscaping timber or railroad ties
• Tree branches, brush, firewood, leaves, and yard waste
• Roofing materials/shingles, lumber, sheet rock, and other building materials
• Paint cans, chemicals, tires, motor oil, brake fluid, gas/gas tanks, diesel fuel, pesticides, and other household hazardous waste. For assistance with these items, call Johnson County Household Hazardous Waste at 913-715-6900.
Please call Public Works at 913-322-5570 if you have any questions about large-item pickup.