Our staff may be small, but we are mighty in serving hundreds of visitors to Merriam every year. We’re asked thousands of questions--from “what’s a good BBQ place in Kansas City?” to “why do you have bears in the fountain outside?” Whether you’re looking for a hotel or dining referral, directions to a local attraction or just curious about Merriam’s history, we’re here to help. Take a peek below at our staff picks for visitors coming to the region and share your photos and memories socially @exploremerriam.
- Take a stroll along Turkey Creek Streamway Trail. By bike or foot, this trail offers a fantastic view of Merriam while logging those steps for the day.
- Grab a quick lunch at one of Merriam’s local eateries (try the Pupusa’s at Anita’s).
- Shop at Merriam’s favorite yellow and blue home furnishings store, IKEA! Make sure to grab a take-home pack of cinnamon buns.
- Enjoy a FREE museum visit to the Nelson Atkins located just off the County Club Plaza, then delight in a wine tasting at Cooper’s Hawk.
- No visit to KC would be complete without BBQ and my favorite is the original Joe’s gas station location at 47th & Mission Road.
- Ride the new KC Streetcar to explore the region from River Market to Crown Center, pick up a bit of local KC merchandise, then hit up a live music venue---there are tons across the metro every night of the week.
- Catch some zzzzz’s---you deserve it after a busy day exploring! Merriam’s hotels are the perfect place to rest your head before heading back home or spending another day in Kansas City.
- Have a milkshake for breakfast (it's vacation!). Merriam has many offerings — Georgetown Pharmacy, Winstead's, Caribou, Sonic... then head around the corner to Antioch Park and enjoy it by the pond.
- Cruise to downtown Merriam and find some antique treasures at Shut Up and Fly, then stop in the Tim Murphy Art Gallery to see the latest show.
- Head up to the Crossroads and grab a postcard a Hammerpress, get coffee and tour The Roasterie, dine on some tasty Thai at Lulu's or enjoy a craft beer and some games at UpDown.
- Go for a stroll on the Trolly Track Trail and peruse the boutiques of Brookside.
- Feeling sporty? Catch a Royals, Chiefs or Sporting game. If you're feeling more adventurous, catch some air at iFly indoor skydiving, zipline through the treetops at Zip KC, or try out Footgolf (a blend of soccer and golf offered at several metro area golf courses). You're sure to have a blast!